Author Topic: Sport Ed and Tgfu model  (Read 3153 times)

Offline Nryan5714

• Forum Rank: Student
    • View Profile
Sport Ed and Tgfu model
« on: January 01, 2015, 03:11:28 PM »
I have used these two models for my k-6 kids and just wanted to get a discussion with other pe teachers on best practices to use in PE. 

What works best for you? My biggest struggle is how to get enough skill practice time for those who need it and/ or are way behind others?

Thanks!

Offline pgce_tom

• Forum Rank: Trainee Teacher
    • View Profile
Re: Sport Ed and Tgfu model
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 04:28:11 PM »
I hear people talk about the sport education model a lot, can someone explain what exactly it is please

Offline praguetaz

• Forum Rank: Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 08:03:53 PM »
I use a combination of the LTAD model and the old DfE schemes of work for age outcomes as well as a number of resources depending on the unit.

Obviously length of lessons, frequency and size of class make a huge difference as well as facilities, budget and resources so you need to create a curriculum that works for your students, one that engages them so introducing new sports/games work for me, is enjoyable for a range of students and that revisits key skills.

Depending on the amount of freedom and support you get from management the skies the limit...

Offline Sporticus

• Forum Rank: NQT
    • View Profile
    • Drowning in the shallow
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 08:53:24 PM »
Hi Tom,

I wrote about Sports Ed Model here https://drowningintheshallow.wordpress.com/2014/09/13/a-model-sport-education/

I know quite a lot of people feel that it can be a successful model for developing technical skills, and that maybe so, but I feel its not as good as doing that as more traditional methods or a TGfU approach. Perhaps it is how I have set it up to focus on leadership development.

Happy to speak to you about it if you want.

Offline Mr P

• Forum Rank: PE Teacher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 07:24:59 PM »
Sports Ed is great for Leadership, I use it to push my most able pupils by making them leaders but also give other pupils roles within the group so that they can see how teams should function. Gives the pupils a wide variety of skills that they can actually use in real life (communication, teamwork, leadership etc)

Offline erimus1986

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Rank: PE Teacher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 08:44:55 PM »
Sports Ed is great for Leadership, I use it to push my most able pupils by making them leaders but also give other pupils roles within the group so that they can see how teams should function. Gives the pupils a wide variety of skills that they can actually use in real life (communication, teamwork, leadership etc)

Have you got a breakdown of how you organised this?